A Community Building Initiative, VOICE seeks to engage and connect Russian-speaking low income Jewish seniors in the Loring Park neighborhood of Minneapolis as well as St. Louis Park/Plymouth area through events, community organizing and leadership development.
Цель программы «ГОЛОС» (VOICE) - привлечь к активной деятельной и интересной жизни русскоговорящих пожилых евреев с низким доходом, проживающих в районе Лоринг парка Миннеаполиса, а также Сент-Луис Парка и Плимута. «ГОЛОС» предлагает религиозные, образовательные, развлекательные, и лидерские программы.
Using the community organizing model to create programming, participants engage in one-on-one conversation, work in leadership teams, and develop and define their own programming. This unique approach to programming makes VOICE an empowering and effective program for this community to express their communal voice and participate in the broader Jewish and general communities.
How to Qualify
Participants of VOICE must meet the following criteria:
- Must be over 60 years of age
- Low income
- Must be a Russian-speaker
- Must be a resident of the Minneapolis metro area
- Must be able to get to the JCC if not living in downtown hi-rises
For more information on how to qualify, contact Lyudmyla Petrenko at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612.867.8277.
Как стать участником программы ГОЛОС.
Участники программы ГОЛОС должны соответствовать следующим критериям:
- Должны быть старше 60 лет
- Иметь низкий уровень дохода
- Должны быть русскоговорящими
- Должны быть жителями Миннеаполиса или ближних окресностей
- Должны быть в состоянии добраться до Sabes JCC, если не живете в центре города (район Лоринг Парка)
Для получения дополнительной информации обращайтесь к Людмиле Петренко по електронному адресу email@example.com или по телефону 612.867.8277.
Types of Programs
VOICE participants experience a range of programs designed to engage and connect them to the broader Jewish and general communities such as:
- Trips to the Sabes JCC for music and theater programs
- Day trips to Excelsior, Stillwater, Red Wing and surrounding cities
- Visits to local theaters such as The Guthrie, Old Log and Chanhassen
- Museum visits to The Science Museum of Minnesota, Minnesota History Center, Mill City Museum
- Picnics in the park with live music
- Lectures on various topics related to leadership, American life, Judaism, Holocaust
- English as a second language classes
- Jewish and Russian holiday programming
- JCA leadership training
- Voter education programs
Collaboration between the Sabes Jewish Community Center, Jewish Community Action and with the support of the Minneapolis Jewish Federation, VOICE enriches the lives of this vulnerable population of Russian speaking seniors to ensure their physical and mental well-being.
Lyudmyla Petrenko, VOICE Program Director/Community Organizer
Originally from the Ukraine, Lyudmyla has a bachelor's degree in Communications and a Master's Degree in Speech and Organizational Communication. Since 2009, she has working for both the Sabes JCC and Jewish Community Action to engage immigrant senior citizens form the former Soviet Union. She is fluent in English, Russian and Ukrainian.
VOICE provides opportunities for participants to experience a range of programs designed to engage and connect them to the broader Jewish and general communities. Following are actual quotes from VOICE participants.
"I have been able to learn more about Jewish and American Culture, interact with people and learn about Judaism."
"Thanks to the Sabes JCC and JCA, community members are learning to advocate for themselves and achieve common goals to be engaged."
"VOICE provides me an opportunity to spend our time well and prevents us for thinking about our aches and pains."
"VOICE is exactly the program that we need - it fosters our communication, organizes us, brings us closer to our Jewish roots and takes our minds off of our health and our problems."
"English language and American culture classes organized by VOICE provide me with necessary knowledge about my new homeland, its history and traditions."