Reopening The JCC
Early Childhood Center and K-6 Childcare
Creating a safe and healthy environment for your children and our staff is our highest priority. In accordance with governmental orders and guidelines, we are taking extra precautions to help our community stay safe and healthy. In addition, we are asking you – our parents – to partner with us by adhering to health guidelines, open & honest communication, and patience.
Hours of Operation
- Hours of operation will be 8:30am to 5pm
- Parents may choose between two enrollment options: 5 full days a week or 3 full days a week (M,W,F); more options may become available over the next few months
- The entire facility will be deep cleaned and disinfected prior to opening
- Custodial staff will disinfect ECC Classrooms, K-6 childcare spaces, restrooms doors & surfaces, push bars & door handles on inside and outside of the 2 playground entrances every 2 hours
- Staff will be trained on specific protocols and expected to disinfect classroom toys, eating surfaces, cots and cribs, buggies, cars & large toys, balls or smaller items, sandbox toys
Drop Off and Pick Up Procedures
- ECC participants must enter through the ECC entrance on the North side of the building
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the building; staff will meet the children outside
- Parents must get their child out of the car seat and staff will bring the children to the classroom, where the teachers will meet them at the door
- You will be asked a few health-related questions when dropping off your child
- Your child’s temperature will be taken with a touchless thermometer
- Please be patient as this process may take extra time to implement
- Children will immediately wash hands upon entering the classrooms
- Teachers will wear gloves when accepting items from the parents
Classrooms and Play Spaces
- The Early Childhood program will be restricted to the lower level of the JCC, between the infant hallway to the north entrance; these restrictions are for all staff and children.
- Children will continue to use the bathrooms in their classrooms
- The Administrative Organizer Desk will have a 2’ tall by 3’ wide plexi-glass screen installed on top of the counter
- Exterior activities will be limited to our fenced in property only (playground space and grassy area outside of the pool near the north entrance parking lot)
- The playground and field spaces are open for use with the following guidelines:
- Only one classroom on a playground or lawn at a time
- Playgrounds are to be disinfected between each use
- Playground is accessed from classroom doors only
- Children and teachers will wash their hands as soon as they re-enter the classroom
- Music with Shana will occur in individual classrooms only
- Use of Muscle Room will be limited to one classroom at a time with 45 minutes between classes to allow for disinfecting
- K-6 Childcare program will be restricted to the main level of the Barry Family Campus in 4 separate classrooms. Each classroom will have a designated bathroom to use
Kitchen and Food Protocols
- All lunches should be in disposable plastic or brown paper bags only
- Soft-sided lunch containers are not permitted
- Tupperware containers and silverware are not permitted
- Teachers will wear gloves during all aspects of food service including when removing lunches from the refrigerator and while serving the food; this includes any bottle service used in the infant classrooms
- Snacks will be limited to individual serving types
Staff Procedures and Training
- All people entering the JCC need to follow the PPE guidelines that include:
- Everyone over the age of 13 must wear a mask while at the JCC.
- Teachers will wear gloves when accepting items from the parents
- Prior to the first day, all staff will receive extensive training on the new protocols we have in place
Response If People Are Sick
- If there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 at the JCC, staff leadership will follow the guidance from the Health Department that includes protocols for closing, investigating, cleaning and reopening
- The JCC will communicate quickly and transparently
What will be the operating hours of the ECC and K-6 childcare?
For now, we will be open from 8:30am -5pm Monday through Friday.
How long will the ECC operate under the adjusted hours and limited enrollment options?
ECC will operate under the adjusted hours and limited enrollment until further notice.
How will the age groups be divided?
ECC classrooms will be divided by infant, toddler, preschool, and PreK. School age childcare classrooms will be divided according to the number of registrations we receive and all efforts will be made to divide the groups by k-3 and 4-6.
Will my child be in the same ECC classroom with the same classmates and teachers when they return?
Your child may be placed in a classroom that is different from the one prior to the closure, but will be placed in an age appropriate classroom; class lists will be sent in advance on the first day of school.
Will ECC swim lessons continue?
At this point the pool will not be open. While we do not have a timeline for opening the pool, we will keep you informed as to when ECC swim lessons will resume.
How will drop off and pick up work?
For now, parents will not be permitted to enter the building. JCC staff will escort the children from their parents to their classrooms. More information to come including specific instructions.
Can you guarantee my child won’t be exposed or get sick?
We are unable to guarantee that your child will not be exposed to Covid-19 or other illnesses. We are following the recommendations of the CDC, MDH and local leaders to create protocols and procedure to minimize risk.
What if my child fits into one of the vulnerable categories?
It is recommended that your child stay at home.
What happens if a child or parent of a child is diagnosed with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
If there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 at the JCC, leadership staff will follow the guidance from the Health Department that includes protocols for closing, investigating, cleaning and reopening.
Will ECC additional enrichment programming be available?
No. The ECC core curriculum is filled with enriching activities for your children. Additional enrichment programming is cancelled to keep the number of people interacting to a minimum. When we begin to offer these programs, we will communicate that to you.
What type of training will the staff receive?
Prior to the first day, all staff will receive extensive training on the new protocols and procedures that we are implementing.
Will children, parents and staff be required to wear masks?
The CDC is currently reviewing the best policies related to use of masks by children; we will provide guidance before the program begins.
All adults will be required to wear a mask.
Will you be able to apply social distancing practices with children?
We cannot guarantee that social distancing will be followed with this age group, but we will be working with our children to learn about personal space and boundaries. We will limit intermingling between the classrooms to emphasize social distancing and minimize the number of people your children are exposed to.
If I choose not to return to the ECC when it reopens, will I lose my spot?
We will hold all spots through the end of August.
What about billing?
Your billing information will be included in your confirmation email.